- 1 What is a leader line fire fighting?
- 2 What does DB mean for firefighters?
- 3 What are the four main techniques involved in firefighting?
- 4 What are fire department line personnel responsible for?
- 5 What is a yard lay firefighting?
- 6 What does 555 mean for firefighters?
- 7 What do you call a female fireman?
- 8 Why are firemen called Jakes?
- 9 What are the 3 methods of extinguishing a fire?
- 10 Can salt put out fire?
- 11 What are the 4 types of fire?
- 12 What is the highest rank in fire department?
- 13 Do all firefighters drive the truck?
- 14 Who controls the fire department?
What is a leader line fire fighting?
Maumelle Engines 1 & 2 and Truck 1 are all equipped with 5″ large diameter hose. Leader Line. A leader line is a line usually having a gated wye on the end. Leader lines are usually 3 or 2.5 inches in diameter and the wye usually feeds two or three 1.5 or 1.75 inch attack lines.
What does DB mean for firefighters?
Firefighter Acronym search: DB
|Acronym||Meaning||Region / Field|
What are the four main techniques involved in firefighting?
The acronym PASS is used to describe these four basic steps.
- Pull (Pin) Pull pin at the top of the extinguisher, breaking the seal.
- Aim. Approach the fire standing at a safe distance.
- Squeeze. Squeeze the handles together to discharge the extinguishing agent inside.
What are fire department line personnel responsible for?
Fire Department Line Personnel (Emergency Response Personnel ) – The Fire Department Line Personnel are responsible for responding to fires and other emergencies, including medical rescue, hazardous materials or conditions, and false alarms.
What is a yard lay firefighting?
The “ Yard Lay ” To put it in play, a firefighter pulls the yard lay and waits for another firefighter to arrive with a disconnected crosslay or bumper line. The driver/operator then charges the yard lay, and once the crew attaches the crosslay, they can open the corresponding valve on the gated wye.
What does 555 mean for firefighters?
When a firefighter died in the line of duty, the fire alarm office would tap out a special signal. That signal was five measured dashes, then a pause, then five measured dashes, another pause…then five more dashes.
What do you call a female fireman?
: a female firefighter a volunteer firewoman.
Why are firemen called Jakes?
New England affectionate slang for Firefighter. Being a “Good J-Key” probably meant a fireman who was cool under the pressure and could send clear Morse code. “J-Key” was eventually shortened to ” Jake “, and when spread to the public, ” Jake ” came to be a common term for firemen in general.
What are the 3 methods of extinguishing a fire?
All fires can be extinguished by cooling, smothering, starving or by interrupting the combustion process to extinguish the fire. One of the most common methods of extinguishing a fire is by cooling with water.
Can salt put out fire?
Salt will smother the fire almost as well as covering it with a lid, while baking soda chemically extinguishes it. But you’ll need a lot of each–toss on handfuls with abandon until the flame subsides. Avoid using flour or baking powder, which can explode in the flames instead of snuffing them out.
What are the 4 types of fire?
Classes of fire
- Class A – fires involving solid materials such as wood, paper or textiles.
- Class B – fires involving flammable liquids such as petrol, diesel or oils.
- Class C – fires involving gases.
- Class D – fires involving metals.
- Class E – fires involving live electrical apparatus. (
What is the highest rank in fire department?
After the rank of firefighter, most departments progressively promote employees to driver or engineer, lieutenant, captain, battalion chief and assistant or deputy chief. A fire chief is generally the highest rank.
Do all firefighters drive the truck?
Not all firefighters have to drive the fire truck. The driver engineer or driver operator is mainly responsible for driving, pumping, and maintaining the fire truck or engine. Other firefighters may drive sometimes as an “Acting Driver” when staffing requires it.
Who controls the fire department?
Generally, fire departments can be assigned to one of three government bodies – municipal government, county government or a fire district. Municipal governments will have either a mayor in charge or a city manager.