- 1 How do I become a firefighter in Boston?
- 2 How long does it take to become a firefighter in Boston?
- 3 How do you get a job at the fire department?
- 4 How do I become a firefighter in Massachusetts?
- 5 How long is Ma Fire Academy?
- 6 Is there an age limit for firefighters in Massachusetts?
- 7 Can I become a firefighter with a green card?
- 8 What is top pay for FDNY?
- 9 Can you be a firefighter and have another job?
- 10 Do firefighters get to sleep?
- 11 Do you have to sleep at Fire Academy?
- 12 How competitive is becoming a firefighter?
- 13 What is the highest paying state for firefighters?
- 14 Do firefighters get drug tested in Massachusetts?
- 15 Do you have to be a paramedic to be a firefighter in Massachusetts?
How do I become a firefighter in Boston?
To take the state civil service exam to become a Boston firefighter, you need to meet a few requirements:
- You must be at least 19 on the date you apply, and younger than 32 on the day you take the exam.
- You must be a Boston resident at least one year before the date of your exam.
How long does it take to become a firefighter in Boston?
Once you have been hired as a firefighter, you would take a 12 week training course at the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy.
How do you get a job at the fire department?
Becoming a firefighter: 10 must-do things
- Become an EMT.
- Volunteer your time.
- Take fire technology classes.
- Maintain a clean background and lifestyle.
- Understand all of the phases of the firefighter hiring process.
- Start taking firefighter tests.
- Stop by fire stations.
- Get some life experience.
How do I become a firefighter in Massachusetts?
How to Become a Firefighter in Massachusetts
- 18 or older with some departments at 21 years old.
- Proof of residency and a state driver’s license.
- High school education or higher.
- Physically fit.
- EMT training essential.
How long is Ma Fire Academy?
The intensive, 10-week program for municipal firefighters involves classroom instruction, physical fitness training, firefighter skills training, and live firefighting practice.
Is there an age limit for firefighters in Massachusetts?
Upper Age Limit: 31 years old or younger as of the original examination date.
Can I become a firefighter with a green card?
Green card holders are allowed to become members of the armed forces and in many other states are allowed to become firefighters and police officers.
What is top pay for FDNY?
Starting salary for a Firefighter is $45,196. But with overtime and holiday pay, which is often required, you can get additional compensation. After five years, a Firefighter can make more than $100,000, including overtime and holiday pay.
Can you be a firefighter and have another job?
Firefighters are usually allowed to have 2 jobs and many do. A firefighter’s second job cannot interfere with their work as a firefighter. That means the second job must fit around the shift schedule, which can reduce a firefighter’s options for a second job.
Do firefighters get to sleep?
Firefighters often spend 24 hours at a time at the firehouse followed by 48 hours off duty. During this time they eat, sleep, shower, work and relax at the firehouse. A: Although there is downtime in the fire serivce, firefighters on duty must be ready to respond to an emergency at any time during their shift.
Do you have to sleep at Fire Academy?
Students will need to be awake, dressed, fed, at the academy, gear ready and prepared and ready to go by that time. I had to wake up at 4:00 am in order to make it to the academy on time and be prepared each day. Being up so early for fire academy takes discipline, but so does being dressed for fire academy.
How competitive is becoming a firefighter?
Becoming a firefighter is no easy task. It requires hard work, long hours of training, dedication and a sincere desire to help others. The firefighting career field is very competitive, too. You’ll be up against hundreds, possibly thousands of applicants depending on the department.
What is the highest paying state for firefighters?
Table 1. Highest-paying States for Firefighters (2020 Survey)
|Rank||State||Average Salary i|
Do firefighters get drug tested in Massachusetts?
Most local fire departments and the Boston Fire Department only test for drugs upon entering the fire academy and two additional times, according to the Herald and local fire chiefs. “You’d be hard-pressed to find a department that did ( drug testing ),” said Milford Deputy Fire Chief Bill Touhey.
Do you have to be a paramedic to be a firefighter in Massachusetts?
Applicants must possess MA certification as an EMT – Paramedic with a minimum of one year of job-related experience. If the successful applicant has not completed the MA Fire Academy’s Career Firefighter Recruit Training Program, he/she will be enrolled post-hire.