- 1 Is PCB a fire?
- 2 What are fire department line personnel responsible for?
- 3 What services do fire departments provide?
- 4 What is a fire unit?
- 5 What is house fire smoke?
- 6 What color is smoke from an electrical fire?
- 7 Do all firefighters drive the truck?
- 8 What is the highest rank in fire department?
- 9 Is a firefighter a government job?
- 10 What are the 4 types of fire?
- 11 What can the fire department be called for?
- 12 What are 10 job duties performed by the firefighters?
- 13 What does 555 mean for firefighters?
- 14 What do you call a rookie firefighter?
- 15 What is a working fire?
Is PCB a fire?
PCBs — or polychlorinated biphenyls — are a viscous liquid, non-flammable in nature.
What are fire department line personnel responsible for?
Fire Department Line Personnel (Emergency Response Personnel ) – The Fire Department Line Personnel are responsible for responding to fires and other emergencies, including medical rescue, hazardous materials or conditions, and false alarms.
What services do fire departments provide?
The reality is that most organizations have evolved so that they provide a wide variety of emergency services that include not only fire suppression, but emergency medical services, hazardous materials response and mitigation, special rescue situations and emergency management.
What is a fire unit?
A basic subdivision of a large surface-to-air missile system, usually with at least two launchers.
What is house fire smoke?
All smoke contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and particulate matter (PM or soot). Smoke can contain many different chemicals, including aldehydes, acid gases, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), benzene, toluene, styrene, metals and dioxins.
What color is smoke from an electrical fire?
As a general rule, “ash” fires (wood, paper, etc.) give off white smoke, fuel fires give off black smoke and electrical fires can give off blue smoke (or flashes of blue while the electricity arcs).
Do all firefighters drive the truck?
Not all firefighters have to drive the fire truck. The driver engineer or driver operator is mainly responsible for driving, pumping, and maintaining the fire truck or engine. Other firefighters may drive sometimes as an “Acting Driver” when staffing requires it.
What is the highest rank in fire department?
After the rank of firefighter, most departments progressively promote employees to driver or engineer, lieutenant, captain, battalion chief and assistant or deputy chief. A fire chief is generally the highest rank.
Is a firefighter a government job?
A federal agency hires a federal firefighter, while a municipal firefighter works for a city, county, or state. Government -controlled positions have regulated salaries throughout the country while municipal wages vary depending on the demand, cost of living, and other locally related aspects.
What are the 4 types of fire?
Classes of fire
- Class A – fires involving solid materials such as wood, paper or textiles.
- Class B – fires involving flammable liquids such as petrol, diesel or oils.
- Class C – fires involving gases.
- Class D – fires involving metals.
- Class E – fires involving live electrical apparatus. (
What can the fire department be called for?
Modern fire departments are tasked with multiple responsibilities beyond responding to structure, wildland and vehicle fires. We also respond to medical emergencies, water rescues, hazardous materials incidents, vehicle accidents, people trapped in buildings and so much more.
What are 10 job duties performed by the firefighters?
Firefighters typically do the following:
- Drive firetrucks and other emergency vehicles.
- Put out fires using water hoses, fire extinguishers, and water pumps.
- Find and rescue victims in burning buildings or in other emergency situations.
- Treat sick or injured people.
- Prepare written reports on emergency incidents.
What does 555 mean for firefighters?
When a firefighter died in the line of duty, the fire alarm office would tap out a special signal. That signal was five measured dashes, then a pause, then five measured dashes, another pause…then five more dashes.
What do you call a rookie firefighter?
The title of probationary firefighter is generally the lowest rank in a fire department’s rank structure.
What is a working fire?
: a fire requiring considerable work to extinguish: a bad fire.